15.2.08

Showcase: 1999 away white jersey (Treble season!)

My heart is warmed to see the number of warm responses to my little blog, which basically is my first attempt at blogging - besides guest-blogging, of course. And from the bloggers whom I visit regularly (hi folks!).

Oh, you should check out my guest blog entry on my Gooner brother's blogsite, which by the way is a GREAT blog! Save for the fact that it's an Arsenal site :( ... never mind, my guest United blog entry helps to alleviate some of the horror there :D


Hmm, maybe it's time I started linking some of the blogs I visit regularly. (Strangely, all the blogs of friends I visit are Arsenal blogs, quite numbingly painful to read at times, whether Arsenal wins, loses or draws *heh heh*). So my United buddies: let me know all your Blog sites, link up! :)



*****-----*****-----*****-----*****



Presenting: the first showpiece jersey!

Originally, I had wanted to showcase a jersey very significant to me:
United home jersey 1992/93



But given that we are going to have a showdown against, of all teams, Arsenal in the FA Cup 5th round today, what better jersey than:
United away jersey (L/S) 1998/99


Description: Away (white)
Sponsors: Umbro, Sharp Viewcam
Used: 1997 - 1999
Known for: Our away jersey during the Treble season, it was famously worn when Ryan Giggs scored his legendary solo match-winner against Arsenal in the FA Cup semi-final replay after we were one-man down and Arsenal were laying siege on our goal. He celebrated by taking off the shirt and waving wildly it in the air (while driving the girls crazy with his chest hair, hahahahahahaha!)


Who can ever forget the heroics of our boys in our legendary triumph over the gooners with 10 men, after surviving a last-minute penalty (Hail the great Dane!)


And of course, the one and only Ryan Giggs' breathtaking solo goal - scored while we were 10 men down against Arsenal's 11, that gave us the semi-final win en route to our historical Treble. It was voted Goal of the Century.

Yes, this is a replica of the jersey waved in ecstacy after that wonder goal:
United away jersey (L/S) 1998/99 - closeup

(Will be aiming to print GIGGS 11 behind soon to honour the forever-unforgettable heroics):
United away jersey (L/S) 1998/99 - Back

Noticed the watermark?
United away jersey (L/S) 1998/99 - Watermark

Interesting sleeve sew-on patch, does it represent any particular country, code of conduct etc? (Pardon the poor lighting):
United away jersey (L/S) 1998/99 - Sleeve patch



A little tidbit: I actually bought two of this shirt: one short-sleeved and one long-sleeved. I actually managed to find the short sleeved one for quite a reasonable price initially:
United away jersey (S/S) 1998/99

But, when the long-sleeved shirt became available, I knew I had to get it (and paid quite a bit for it, but it was well worth it! :) ... it's a tad small for me though - so I wear only the short-sleeved one (very comfortable, not to mention a nice shirt for casual outing).

Will be wearing the long-sleeved shirt for tonight's game - on matchdays, I wear shirts that are meaningful for the occasion.


Will be crossing my fingers for our lads tonight, may our boys emulate the heroics of the great United sides that have graced Old Trafford for decades, especially as exemplified by the class of 98/99. DO US PROUD AND WHOP SOME ARSE! :D


*****-----*****-----*****-----*****


I don't intend to write post-match reports or commentaries here, but I suppose I may. In any case, will update post-match! Cheers!


FERGIE'S RED ARMY!!!



*****-----*****-----*****-----*****-----*****-----*****

No comments:



Blog owner's (MerV) note:
All content, including text and pictures, are the property of MerV unless otherwise stated, do respect the intellectual property ownership by seeking permission should you need to use it, especially pictures of MerV's jerseys.