26.2.08

Treble II ahead!

You know it was coming right? I am still flowing with pride just reminiscing about our glorious Treble achievement in 1999 - which is still to me a most magical year in my life yet, when I met and dated Fern 'til now (you're the best, hunnie!)

OK, mush aside *grin*, 1998/99 season is still "THE season of all seasons" for any top football club to emulate (to quote the commentator in "The Treble" season review DVD).



I know it seems like I never got out of a past achievement, as probably rival fans would like to point out gleefully (then again, we are probably as guilty gloating over Manchester City's looooooooooooooooooooong history, Liverpool's awesome 18 titles ... and may I add a dig here: it's been a consistent 18 titles since :P

Sorry to any Pool fans at this point, though I don't have many friends who are Pool fans. The Liverpool friends who are nice, they are not so hardcore fans; IMO, seems that the really hardcore ones are quite hard to get along. But I digress already.


*****-----*****-----*****-----*****



Still, there's a buzz about this season's momentum that has gotten us thus far:
As of today (26th February)
- We are second behind Arsenal (only three points behind) and fast catching up
- We have also knocked them out of the FA Cup
- Spurs had won the League Cup (Carling Cup), and
- We are set up towards European glory (currently, taking a 1-1 draw against Lyon to Old Trafford for 2nd leg).

Sounds familiar? 9 years ago, the stage was similar:
- Neck-to-neck with Arsenal, then the Double champions, in the League
- Knocked Arsenal out of the FA Cup in an epic thriller
- Spurs won the League Cup, then known as the Worthington Cup.
- Knocked out big teams one by one en route to the final



It does feel like a season of destiny again, doesn't it United fans?? Just like in 1999 when Manchester United won it all! Then, the feeling began when we tossed Liverpool out of the FA Cup 5th round in a thrilling last-minute winner after going 1-0 down to a Michael Owen header; this time, that sense of excitement pervaded as we showed Arsenal the door with an emphatic 4-0 victory.

The last time we completed the Treble at the Nou Camp, I was with scousers. Can only hope and pray that this time, I will get to celebrate with my loved ones, as well as my ManUtdSG buddies, the ultimate triple triumph that is destined to be ours again.


*****-----*****-----*****-----*****



PS. look out for my next showcase VERY soon! Boy, am I super excited at my newest acquisition, the Schmeichel jersey won during the Treble season! *grin*

No comments:



Blog owner's (MerV) note:
All content, including text and pictures, are the property of MerV unless otherwise stated, do respect the intellectual property ownership by seeking permission should you need to use it, especially pictures of MerV's jerseys.